Nottingham Clarion CC Forum Forum Index

<  Club Runs  ~  Sat 9th Nov - Charnwood Forest - Farmer's Den

Satnav
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
MEET: KEYWORTH MAIN SQUARE

TIME: 8.30am for 8.45am depart

We now move into Winter Club Runs so speeds will slow as people switch to heavier, mudguard equipped winter bikes. I will be trying to keep the same start time as Summer runs as long as it is safe. (Icy morning will mean a delay of either 30 mins or 1hr to the start time which I will post by 8pm on the Friday evening).

Note some upcoming changes.
Next week's club run will be on Sunday 17th due to the Clarion Cyclo Cross Event on Saturday 16th at Holme Pierrepont.
After that, we are back to normal Saturday runs. As part of efforts to get more riders, meeting point will consistently be at the Lime Kiln at 8.30am for 8.45am departure. Note - on weeks with Westerly routes that would have suited the Keyworth starts, there will be a pick up at 9.05am at Widmerpool for those who don't fancy the extra miles or Kinoulton Hill early in the ride.

For this week (Sat 9th), it is the third time of trying to get out to Charnwood Forest. The forecast is for a frost overnight into Saturday and rain by early afternoon. The route is now on more main roads initially in case of slippery conditions and comes home more directly from the cafe so we are back to Keyworth before 1pm.

Route out is Bunny, East Leake then upto the A6006 to Hathern and then the B5324 to Belton before turning up Forest Lane and the climb to the Monastery up Swannymote Lane. We then go through Oaks in Charnwood and nearly upto Copt Oak turning left on Whitcrofts Lane and descending down Polly Botts Lane (caution for the left bend a third of the way down). We climb Sharply Hill (clue in the name) near Newtown Linford before a zig zag down to Cropston Reservoir and Swithland. Onto Rothley (remember we turn earlier and cannot get down the blocked Bond Lane) and to the cafe (34 mile 10.45am)

Return journey is sixteen miles via Quorn, Barrow, Cotes, Stanford, East Leake, Wysall and four telegraph pole (nemesis) hill to Keyworth. Total is 50 miles and we should be back to Keyworth 12.45pm to 1pm.

The strava Link is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/22306924

simonh
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
Sorry, no group 3 option tomorrow. I have a bad cold.

Simon Hall
Group 3 Club run leader
AnthonyJ
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Anyone fancy a flatter slower ride, less interval based? (ie riding hard up hills and rolling down the other side)

Im just getting back into my base riding, which means slow and in hr zone of 130bpm-ish which with my winter Aluminium bike and weight at the moment is 16-17mph on a flattish route..... My Zone 2 with power and weight is coming in about 2.5 w/kg, which is pretty low, normally in the summer im a 3 w/kg

Im thinking flattish route, 3hrs, Lime Kiln, go East-sih maybe even to Newark and back through the lanes. Have a QUICK coffee and head back.

any takers?
F=ma
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I’ll join you Jacko. I’m still barely fit enough for group 2 and worse up the hills so something a shade easier and flatter would be good for me. #altgroup3 #thefatladreturns

aka F=ma. For an object if high mass (m), it takes a lot of force (F) to create any acceleration (a) - except when going downhill!
AnthonyJ
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Cheers Chris. Shall we say 9am at the LK? we can head flat and slow.

Im not really fit enough for a hilly group 2 ride, especially seen as it looks like it probable of a Group 1 and Group 2 combined.
Satnav
Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Brrr - winter conditions had arrived this morning with a hard overnight frost meaning a cautious start for the six of us who rode out as one from Keyworth on our winter bikes.

The day got foggy by the time we were at East Leake and ut was not until we had climbed under the M1 motorway did it get clear again. Hills started at Belton.Up into the trees on Swannymote Lane we were treated to a riot of Autumn colour as well as a sulphur like smell. Passing Mount St. Bernard Monastery, the view down towards Nottingham was a blanket of fog with just a the tower of Ratcliffe Power station emerging about the misty veil thrown across the lower ground.

The Oaks of Oaks in Charnwood and Copt Oak were magnificent in their Autumn hues of brown, russet, orange and yellow. A lot of water was running off the higher ground and Polly Botts Lane was a fast flowing convenient channel of water in places. Sharpley Hill was just that. Some resurfacing between Cropston and Swithland had dealt with a previous gravelly, left turn. Swithland itself was particularly aromatic with the distinct smell of weed seemingly everywhere. Surely the local coal merchant or wood supplier hadn't added a special extra to what was being burnt in the fireplaces.

35 miles done we got to the cafe for a welcome refuel and a welcome radiator on what was a very cold day, damp day still. Good news was that the new full winter Clarion jerseys performed very well and were plenty warm enough in combination with a base layer and gilet despite temperature being just 2 degrees. Their lack of bulk compared to the older giordana jackets did not translate into a relatively poor performance. Mince pies on the menu meant the normal biscuit rabbits or chocolate tractors were not first choice.

The return journey was a brief 16 miles meaning we were back to Keyworth by 12.45pm well before any rain which was now forecast to be later than the 1pm I had expected from the forecast when mapping the route. Dave attacked Nemesis hill and was first up it with temporary traffic lights on the descent just before the climb meaning no speed from hill credits to give a flying start.

It was great to get out after two wet weeks and also to get over the first outing on a winter bike which is always a bit of a shock to the system.

Remember next week club run is on Sunday due to the Clarion Cyclo Cross at Holme Pierrepont.