Meet: Keyworth, Main Square

Time: 8.30am meet for 8.45am depart -Summer timing
Group 1 ???
Group 2 circa 18.0mph
Group 3 -

Leaders:
Group 1: ??
Group 2: Sat-Nav
Group 3: tbc (Simon - likely to be alternative destination)

Cafe: Wistow Bistro (35 miles with hills) - 11am

With a pleasant day in prospect and before the wasps get too dozy, time for a trip to Wistow. There is over 1,000m of climbing with nothing individually too steep but plenty of undulating road. There is no real shorter route to what is a distant cafe destination with hills unavoidable, so for this week Group 3 is likely to have an alternative cafe to Groups 1&2.

The route we take is out via Willoughby, Grimston, Saxelbye and Kirby Bellars. We skirt the side of Ashby Folville before going via Barsby to South Croxton and Beeby. Just watch the drain cover on the first right hand bend of the descent off Beeby Moor (its in just the wrong place in the road if you are leaning over to corner!). From Beeby we go to Scraptoft. Entering Scraptoft, there is a right hand bend where you take the left onto Malsbury Avenue to avoid the centre one way system.

The route takes us over the A47 at the traffic lights at Thurnby (right hand filter to join A47 then left). We go via Stroughton, Leicester International Airport, then the longer way round to Great Glen before across the A6 and to our cafe destination (35 miles - 11am). We may want to sit inside if the wasps are about and you order anything with jam.

Return journey is 30 miles back upto Houghton on the Hill, down the narrow road to Ingarsby hamlet. We go back again to Beeby where we turn left for Barkby and Queniborough. Thrussington, over the A46, Seagrave and the little turn to Berrycott Lane upto Six Hills is the next section. Finally we head back to Keyworth via Wymeswold and Wysall. Total 65 miles back at Keyworth for 1.30pm

The strava Link is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/21635303
simonh
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
As the planned Wistow route does not lend itself to a café direct option, I plan to take Group 3 on a 43 mile jaunt over to Mountsorrel and the excellent Stoneshur ast Farm café stop.

The outbound route,from Keyworth, will be down to the Wreake valley,via Wysall ,Hoby and Rothley.
The return will be via Quorn,Barrow, and Widmerpool.

A gently rolling route without any killer climbs.

I hope to see you on Saturday .See starting time and place as the other groups.

Simon Hall
Group 3 Club run Leader

PS I Normally park in the Keyworth Village Hall car park,close to the start.
F=ma
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I’ll be joining you Simon.

Chris

aka F=ma. For an object if high mass (m), it takes a lot of force (F) to create any acceleration (a) - except when going downhill!
Satnav
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Just updated my profile signature. Testing to see it works by saying who I am and what I do.

AndrewW
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Hi Simon, we will be joining you on the tandem

Cheers

Andrew and Lynn
simonh
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
AndrewW wrote:
Hi Simon, we will be joining you on the tandem

Cheers

Andrew and Lynn

Thanks for letting me know. See you tomorrow.
Regards, Simon
simonh
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Group 3 had 5 riders today for a 36 mile circular route out to Mountsorrel and the excellent Stoneshur at Farm café.
Average speed today was 16.4mph.

See you next Saturday.

Simon Hall
Group 3 Club run Leader
JanP
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Group 1 only had four riders today but no less fun.
The route today seemed slightly easier to other times probably caused by it going in reverse to other times.

The cafe at Wistow seemed slightly better at managing a big queue than the one at Fulbeck and we all actually managed to have a coffee in the end unlike last week.

Despite the slightly hilly route and fewer riders than usual we still managed a respectable 20.3mph average.

Jan
Satnav
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Three groups, two bound for Wistow and one for Stonehurst Farm, were all treated to a headwind out on what was a lovely early Autumn day.

My group of five met up with a similar size group from the West Bridgford, Tollerton area near Kirby Bellars and rode towards Gaddesby with them and invited them to join up with one of our groups in the future.

By the time the original five got to Scraptoft, Mike asked if we could have a ride that went up then down then up then down repeatedly one week. The journey out was certainly that with lots of little climbs which sneakily meant that the 1,000m climbing threshold for a hilly ride would be exceeded today despite the route staying closer to the flatter ground near Leicester.

We rode through Thurnby in single file, where we must have just missed elsewhere a festival of cyclists riding two or more abreast. We had two shouts of single file about a minute apart from people in cars at junctions who could not have seen how we were riding. After that intrigue, it was time for that hub of activity known as Leicester International airport. Actually, you couldn't see it behind a tall hedge no doubt grown to keep the paparazzi away from the A-listers no doubt in transit at any time.

Talking of A-listers, it was great to see Dave K out again after a period of injury. We sat in the cafe pondering why his return to physical activity wasn't being marked by the normal weight loss expected. We didn't really know so Dave just took another bite from his slab of chocolate Rocky Road and the conversation drifted elsewhere. Food at Wistow is served in random ramekins and reminds me of the variety of mugs and plates, mostly chipped and definitely never the same twice nor matching, that you used to get in the good old days of Margarets cafe at Redmile back in the 1990's.

On the way to the cafe, we had once more seen the black and yellow Syston Wheelers heading tailwind assisted in the opposite direction to us. At Wistow, we expected to be joined again by black and yellow company but this time with a sting in the tail in the shape of the September Wasps of Wistow. It didn't start too badly, although the arrival of Izzy's chocolate pancakes was just too irresistible. Fortunately, there was only one wasp that bothered us as the body of a wasp solidified in the candle wax from the central table decoration must have acted as some sort of wasp voodoo to warn off its fellow nest mates.

Return journey started off uneventfully enough until Steve managed to forget to unclip in Great Glen and go down in slow motion in a cloud of choice words. Once we explained to the concerned passing motorist what he had done and that he was OK, he advised us to check the contents of Steve's water bottle.

The tailwind helped us home although the climb out of Thrussington upto the A46 was silently tackled as we all dug in. Of course I had foreseen that this would be Dave's first ride in months so I just had to include his favourite hill back upto Keyworth from Wysall which I know I certainly had to give it my all to get back up.

We were back at Keyworth around 1.15pm and my average was 17.9mph for the ride. Lovely day out wth good company. See you next week.