Meet: Radcliffe, Opposite Co-op

Time: 9.00am meet for 9.15am start
Group 1 Circa 18.5-19mph
Group 2 Circa 17.5mph

Leaders:
Group 1: Chris
Group 2: ??

Cafe: Fulbeck Manor Stables - 11.15am

The good news is that it should be mild and dry. The bad news is that it's going to be very windy. Average speeds are therefore a bit meaningless since we will fly up with a tailwind and slog back into the teeth of it.

Being flat, it's a slightly longer route this week. I'd expect the cafe stoppers to be back in Radcliffe around 1.30-1.45pm and the non stoppers by 12.45ish.

We do need someone to lead Group 2 (at least to the cafe as I will stop and ride back slower). Does anyone have a Garmin who can shout turn directions please?

If there are any changes I'll post on the forum by 8.00 - but I don't expect any. I'll definitely be going out unless the forecast changes dramatically.

The Strava Link is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/12268584

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Today’s ride is definitely on as planned. The wind is as bad as it’s going to get now and will gradually die down through the day.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
No tandems in the end this week. I suspect the wind may have caused the big bikes to stay in garages. It was certainly blowing. Even at my sizeable bulk, I had a couple of moments on the way out where the wind shunted me sideways.

Apart from the wind, it was a really nice day. The sun shone on us, the roads were dry and the temperature mild.

We set off at a lively pace. Lou had the bit between her teeth and, combined with the wind behind us, we were speeding along at 24mph until Ollie punctured. We’d set off as a mixed group since there weren’t enough for a full slower group so, feeling the pace was a bit high to stick together, Graham, Mike, Poppy and I left the rest to effect repairs for Ollie and rode on.

We expected them to catch us at some point but we continued on at a good lick and perhaps the puncture took a little longer to fix beacause we didn’t see them again.

The wind continued to be mostly behind but every now and then a change in direction gave us a blast of cross or headwind so we knew what we were in for on the way back.

Perhaps because it was the first weekend open after a winter break, the cafe was pretty empty. We tucked in and were persuaded to venture out for the return leg quite quickly because it was a bit chilly inside.

We warmed up quickly up the little hill from the cafe and it was then a slog back into the gale. Every little change of direction or bit of shelter was welcome as we ground it out homeward.

By the time we reached Radcliffe, my average speed had dropped from over 20mph at the cafe to under 18, so we’d not even averaged 16mph into the wind. We were all pretty knackered though - and special kudos to Poppy who rode with real grit all day.

Thanks all for your company. See you next week when, weather permitting, I’m thinking that we’ll head West to Melbourne Hall.

Chris

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hi Chris

We fully intended to join you with our tandem today, Lynn was well up for it. But unfortunately family problems intervened and we ended up staying in Baldock for an extra 24 hours to help out. Family has to come before cycling.

Pleased you all had a good ride and hopefully be out with you next Saturday.