Meet: Keyworth, Main Square

Time:
Group 1 ???
Group 2 8.45am for 9.00am start - circa 18.0mph

Leaders:
Group 1: ??
Group 2: ?? - Sat-Nav

Cafe: Staunton Harold (32 miles - 11pm)

Keyworth start again this week as the strong Westerly winds mean it makes sense to head West to Ticknall, call at Staunton Harold and have a tailwind assist back down from Griffydam to make up for the hard work out to the cafe.

It's a 32 mile ride out, so will be at the cafe around 11am and a 23 mile ride back so I would anticipate being back in Keyworth around 1pm which should beat the showers forecast for the afternoon.

The strava Link is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/16381766
Satnav
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
A big turn out today for a two group ride. I had thought Chris would have been trying out the coffee at the new Birds bakery just where we meet in the main square in Keyworth but a diversion to my house to sort out rear tyre problems meant we were slightly late at the start.

I had set the route out to zig zag into the headwind to give us a bit of a break from what was forecast to be a tough Westerly wind. You just get on with it in these circumstances with our first hour 16.3mph covered showing that it was a hard day.

Once we got to Ticknall, all the hill credits were earned and we were all ready for the cafe just a few miles later. Leaving the cafe I spotted that the sign on the neighbouring upholstery workshop offered one rather unusual service in its list; that of arbitration. Is this something that is normally necessary in the world of re-upholstery?

Our hard work out was now to be rewarded with a fast run down from Griffydam to Hathern. I covered the first five miles on turning into the B road, including the Griffydam hill climb, in ten minutes fifty so it was a 30mph average run down the hill from Griffydam. I found myself in 52-11 going as fast as I could at 40mph on occasion. Chris gave it his all down there.

The rest of the ride home was wind assisted too but we were all, apart from Duracell Andrew, tiring now so twenty was plenty the rest of the way. We got back to Keyworth at 1pm with the beautiful sunny day starting to give way to some ominous black clouds. No rain came so we got away with a clean,dry day. Total average for me was 17.8mph. Great ride and I won't say I am pleased we have got this far into December without icy or foggy Saturday or that us sure to be what will come.