Nottingham Clarion CC Forum Forum Index

<  Multisport: Trialthon, Duathlon etc.  ~  Stathern Duathlon 15th March 2015

john-o
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 May 2007 Posts: 1514 Location: Bingham
Stathern Duathlon: Sunday 15th March 2015 in, well, Stathern...

This is an awesome event and it is right on our doorstep.

Me, Neil Mansfield and cheeky-chappie Will Nuthall did this last year and it was great. We were 15th, 18th and 3rd respectively (not bad considering that I had an ankle injury (+ much waffled-about vascular problem), Neil was training for the London marathon and Will had never done one before.

Both runs are 5K from the Red Lion in Stathern to Dove Cottage and back. The bike leg is 18K (about 11 miles) and takes you up Stathern Hill, along to Belvoir Castle and then along Long Lane.

Get involved. You don't even have to do any swimming! And, believe me, the enjoyment of thrashing past a load of runners on bikes is unbeatable.

If anyone needs any tips or help with duathlon, please feel free to ask, although it really isn't difficult!

http://www.stathernduathlon.org.uk

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Hi John,

Good to hear you've managed to get to the bottom of the leg problem, and are on the mend.
I think I'm going to enter. I think might be able to persuade Marc to aswell. That said I haven't run for quite a while....

Will
john-o
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Good man. Get stuck in mate and see if you can improve on 3rd place - no pressure!

Anyone else? It's only a couple of 5K runs and a bit of roll around some familiar roads on the bike...

Anyone wanting something a bit more challenging: there may still be a few places on the Dambuster Duathlon on 7th March at Rutland Water.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I raced in this last weekend (don't think there were any other Clarions there). Had a good race and got 2nd. As usual, it was the bike and transition that let me down a bit. The splits for the winner and me were:

1st Matthew Hallam (Jackpot Racing) Run 1: 17.37; T1: 00.37; Bike: 29.47; T2: 00.27; Run 2: 18:24 = 1:06:54
2nd Stewart Gregory (Nottingham Clarion) Run 1: 17.19; T1: 00.44; Bike: 30.24; T2: 00.35; Run 2: 18:17 = 1:07:21
john-o
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Great result, well done Stewart. That is very close!

I think it is really worthwhile to practice transition in training (also amusing for my neighbours to see me running up the road in my socks and try to jump on my bike!) I think last spring it was clearly my strongest discipline...

What's next Stewart? Any worlds qualifiers on the horizon?

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks John, yes, I really should practise this third discipline of duathlon! I have got qualification for the World Championships again this year but it is in Adelaide and I really don't have the time to go down there this year, so will have to try and get qualification again for next year instead
WilliamN
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry that I couldn't make it in the end.

Well done Stewart, I see you beat my time from last year! Not in the transitions though!!