Nottingham Clarion CC Forum Forum Index

<  Multisport: Trialthon, Duathlon etc.  ~  Multi-sport 2013 (Duathlons, Triathlons & Otherathlons)

MarkMcC
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Have a look at who came second in this (and his bike split compared to the others): http://www.tri247.com/results_15065.html.

You have some serious competition emerging!
StewartG
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Flippin eck - when he gets his run sorted he will be unstoppable!
john-o
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 May 2007 Posts: 1527 Location: Bingham
You never know, he might have lost a couple of minutes in transition!

We raced against former multiple national cycling champs John Tanner and Kevin Dawson in the Dambuster Stewart, they were knocking out awesome bike times + very impressive runs.

I think I'd better go and do a run...

"Training is like fighting with a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired" Greg Henderson, TeamSky
il lupo
Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 May 2007 Posts: 3893 Location: eating black forest gateau with Der Kaiser...
Anyone doing this?

http://www.onestepbeyond.org.uk/news/midland-off-road-series/nottingham-off-road-duathlon-start-list-up-places-still-available/

Nottingham Off Road Duathlon Start list up & places still available
November 28, 2013

The start list has been uploaded for next weekends Nottingham Off Road Duathlon, based at the National Water Sports Centre.

The 5km run 16km cycle 2.5km route takes you around areas that you have never seen at the nations home of water sports check out the route map here.

Advance entries will close on Wednesday 4th December, however, there will also be On The Day Entries taken on the morning of Saturday 7th December between 8.30-9.30am.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've entered it for a bit of fun.

I'm well into some winter training + not much good on a mountain bike (I've only just taken the child seat off the back of it), so I've got very low expectations except that it will be hard, fun and muddy!

"Training is like fighting with a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired" Greg Henderson, TeamSky
StewartG
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You will do loads better on the mountain bike than me though - at least you have got one! Third race in local cross country running league for me this Saturday at Shipley Park. Hope it all goes well - post up a report - it will be interesting to hear the experience of this sort of event
john-o
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hope the cross country went well Stewart. What league is it? I could do with some winter races to sharpen up my running a bit.

Richard Hill was also taking part in this duathlon, but I'm not sure how he got on.

I, rather disappointingly, DNF'd when my chain snapped halfway through the second (and final lap) of the bike. It wasn't fixable and neither was it practical to push it to transition as there was a lot of single track and I'd have held people up.

Still, it was my only major mechanical and only DNF of the year.

Up until that point I was doing surprisingly well. The first 5K run was tough and hilly. I was hanging on to the back of the second group as we came into transition. The bike leg was going really well. I'm not MTBer and hardly ever ride off-road, so I was surprised to be going so well, catching and passing a lot of riders and handling the technical bits OK (a couple of squeakly bum moments aside). My wife thinks I was somewhere between 15th and 10th when I blew the chain.

Great course - pretty tricky in places. Gave me a bit of confidence on the MTB so I will try and do some more off-road duathlons - just need to invest in a bulletproof chain...

StewartG
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that is such a shame to have a good result thwarted by a mechanical. Must be great winter training for the season ahead though.

I had hoped to have a good winter of running but I am actually doing more on the bike as I tore my hamstring a few weeks ago. Cycling is OK but running is painful (managed to get round today but slightly off the pace I would have expected). These races are in the North Midlands XC league for all NM clubs, so it is very sharp at the front.